DateFriday 05.07.2024 - 07.07.2024
Distances150 - 97 km - 7km TT km
Gran Fondo Suisse has been organised for several years in the Alpes Vadoises region near the UCI headquarters and will have new courses for the 2024 edition with new mountains in the same beautiful region east of the Geneva Lake. The race is held on the same weekend as UCI Gravel Suisse which takes place on Saturday.
With start in Villars-sur-Ollon at an elevation of 1336m and finish on top of the Col de la Croix at 1748m, the 6.9km time trial has a course which suits the real climbers.
The 414m of elevation can be divided into three sectors with a first kilometre leaving town at 5-6% average, followed by a flatter section in the middle between km 1.5 – 3 to then start the steeper parts towards the top with kilometres which reach a gradient up to 11%. Average gradient over the 6.9km is 6.6%
GRANFONDO – MEDIOFONDO
More than just a qualifying event for the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships, this course boasts the stature of a mountain stage in a Grand Tour. Commencing in Villars-sur-Ollon, participants will encounter an elevation of nearly 4000m, tackling the iconic passes of the Vaudois Alps.
Setting off with the challenging Cols de la Croix (1778m) and du Pillon (1544m) for a robust warm-up, riders then face the lesser-known but breathtaking Col du Mittelberg (1633m), linking Pays-d’Enhaut and Saanenland. This climb unveils spectacular landscapes dominated by nature’s grandeur. A smoother stretch follows, preceding the untamed ascent through the serene Hongrin valley towards its lake and dam, marking the course’s lowest point at 690m.
In the second half, participants confront the formidable Col des Mosses (1445m) and La Forclaz (1283m). However, the ultimate challenge lies in the concluding climb back up the Col de la Croix (1778m), retracing the initial route.
The total elevation gain for the entire 150km course is an impressive 3724m.
The 97km Mediofondo, while incorporating the Col de la Croix and Col du Pillon, takes a shortcut towards Chateau ’Oex. The demanding final section includes the Col des Mosses, La Forclaz, and concludes with a challenging ascent back up the Col du Pillon, totalling an elevation gain of 2588m.
Granfondo (qualifier distance for all men/women 19-59)
Mediofondo (qualifier distance for all men and women 60+)
Villars-sur-Ollon, nestled in the majestic Swiss Alps, is a charming and picturesque village that embodies the beauty and charm of Switzerland. Located in the canton of Vaud, this idyllic alpine destination is a haven for nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts and those seeking a serene escape.
Situated at an altitude of 1,300 meters above sea level, Villars-sur-Ollon offers a captivating blend of natural beauty and modern conveniences. Visitors can access the village via a scenic train ride from Aigle, enjoying breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains along the way.
Tourism highlights in Villars-sur-Ollon include:
- Skiing and snowboarding: Villars-sur-Ollon is renowned for its winter sports offerings. With access to over 120 kilometers of pristine slopes, it’s a paradise for skiers and snowboarders of all levels. The village is part of the vast Villars-Gryon-Les Diablerets ski area, offering numerous downhill opportunities.
- Hiking and Mountain Biking: During the summer months, the region transforms into a paradise for hikers and mountain bikers. Countless trails pass through lush alpine meadows, dense forests and offer panoramic views of the Swiss Alps. Don’t miss the Tour des Muverans, a multi-day hiking circuit.
- Golf: Villars-sur-Ollon has a superb 18-hole golf course with captivating views of the Dents-du-Midi and Mont Blanc. Golfers can enjoy a unique round of golf in the clean mountain air.
- Thermal Baths: After a day of outdoor adventures, relax at the thermal baths of Lavey-les-Bains, just a short drive away. These natural hot springs offer relaxation and regeneration, making them the perfect way to soothe sore muscles.
- Montreux Jazz Festival: During your stay in Villars-sur-Ollon, take advantage of the proximity of the Montreux Jazz Festival. This world-renowned event, organized each year in Montreux, offers a diverse musical program and a unique cultural experience.
- Village charm: Stroll through the picturesque village of Villars-sur-Ollon, with its picturesque chalets, welcoming cafes and charming boutiques. The authentic Swiss ambiance offers a delightful and peaceful experience.
- Panoramic train ride: The Bex-Villars-Bretaye railway is not to be missed. This rack railway takes you to Bretaye, offering spectacular views of the surrounding landscape. It’s an adventure in itself.
Villars-sur-Ollon offers an exceptional setting for winter and summer activities, guaranteeing tourist appeal all year round. Whether you’re looking for adventure on the slopes or a quiet escape to the Swiss Alps, this charming village has something to offer every traveler. With its dazzling natural beauty and numerous recreational opportunities, Villars-sur-Ollon is a true Swiss treasure just waiting to be explored.